The church building dates from 1722 - 1725. The interior was extensively restored in 1828, 1878 and 1893. On 12/07/1925 the consecration of the church 200 years previously was commemorated with a festival for the town and school. In 1975 the parish commemorated the 250th anniversary of consecration and celebrated re-consecration following the reconstruction of the tower and the restoration of the exterior of the church. Many citizens of Polenz helped to make this possible. To enable services to also be held in winter a small, heated winter church was established in the entrance area. The parish of Polenz has belonged to the parish of Brandis since 1978. A particular treasure stands in the vestibule of Polenz church - a Romanesque font made from Rochlitz porphyry with an arched frieze.